Wi-Fi has become an essential part of how we connect our devices to the internet at home. In some homes, however, you may live close enough to your neighbour's Wi-Fi network that they may be competing with your own.
Wi-Fi has been designed to work on separate channels avoiding networks needing to compete with each other. Some modem/routers are smart enough to move the channel for you automatically to reduce the chance of channel interference.
If you have your own modem/router and wish to change the Wi-Fi channel we recommend checking your user guide or manual for directions if you're not sure how to do this.
Pentanet supplied modem/routers
If you have a Pentanet supplied modem/router we have outlined the steps for you below.
Managing all aspects of your AmpliFi device and network is simple with the AmpliFi app. Download here for Apple or Android.
- Make sure your mobile device is connected to the AmpliFi's Wi-Fi network
- Open AmpliFi Wi-Fi app
- Tap on the picture of AmpliFi Router
- Choose Wireless
- Choose Advanced
- Change the settings to the following:
- 2.4GHz channel from Auto to channel 7
- 2.4GHz bandwidth leave 20MHz channel as is
- 5GHz channel from Auto to channel 36
- 5GHz bandwidth channel change from 80MHz to 40MHz
- Once settings have been changed tap the checkmark icon in the top right-hand corner to save
AmpliFi - how-to guide can be found on their website, here.
- Connect your device (e.g. computer or phone) to the Wi-Fi or use an Ethernet/cabled in computer
- Open a web browser and navigate to http://192.168.1.1. You'll be asked for a login, use the default username: admin and the default password: admin. (If the default login doesn’t work you may need to factory reset your device)
- Click Advanced Tab
- Click Wireless
- Click Wireless Setting
- Click 2.4GHz
- Change the channel from Auto to Channel 7
- Set Channel width from Auto to 20MHz
- Click 5GHz
- Change the channel from Auto to Channel 36
- Set Channel width from Auto to 40MHz
TP-Link - how-to guide can be found on their website, here.
- Make sure your mobile device is connected to the M2's Wi-Fi network
- Open the Mercku App on your mobile device
- Choose Settings
- Choose WiFi Settings
- Change 2.4G channel to 7
- Change 5G channel to 36
Mercku - how-to guide can be found on their website, here.